Skip to Main Content

Who Brought the POWER in October (2018)?

Back To Blog
Oct 23, 2018
John Pavia in front of chalk PowerRyde logo

John Pavia

John started ryding with us back in January of 2016. He started cross-training with us for his upcoming Police Unity Tour Ride where he and thousands of other police officers bike over 250 miles in three days in support of those who have fallen in the line of duty. John has even hosted several Fundraising Rydes for the Police Unity Tour at Power Ryde. To date, we have raised and donated over $5000 to the Police Unity Tour; amazing!

Over the years John has become part of our Power Ryde family; bringing an energy and smile unlike any other (you can check out this smile on our website as he's the only guy featured in our cover photos!...however, you might not recognize him as he has lost so much weight in the past few month, he looks like a totally different person!). Anyways, you can always tell John is working hard and having fun in class. While he says he feeds off other ryders, little does he know, we all feed off his energy. Way to go John!

What brought you to Power Ryde?

I came to Power Ryde for the first time because my co-workers were talking about the Groupon they saw. They were talking about bikes that moved and I was very intrigued to say the least...although I was thinking maybe I should wear a helmet!

Do you remember your first ryde and how you felt after? What has kept you coming back for more week after week?

I definitely remember my first ride. I was a little intimidated to say the least. I had been to many spinning classes, however, the moving bikes were something very new. I felt welcome at Power Ryde from the first day I walked through the doors. After the class I remember feeling winded and thinking to myself, "Am I really that uncoordinated?"

I keep returning to Power Ryde for multiple reasons. First, it is like a family at Power Ryde; from the staff to other riders, everyone makes you feel welcome. Second, it is a great core workout! I had to learn to strengthen my core during class to help me control the bike instead of the bike controlling me. Finally, I keep coming back because sooner or later, I am going to be able to breathe enough to yell during class like Kim Emery...Hopefully!!

Every year you and thousands of other police officers participate in the Police Unity Tour where you bike over 250 miles in three days to honor those who have fallen in the line of duty. How has Power Ryde helped you prepare for this ride?

Helping to prepare for the Police Unity Tour is another reason I keep coming back to Power Ryde. I participated in the Police Unity Tour for three years before coming to Power Ryde. There are many hills during the Unity Tour and while I completed the ride every year without a problem, since going to Power Ryde, the Police Unity Tour has become much easier. Power Ryde has definitely helped me with hill work. Since attending Power Ryde, I now help push others up those hills...Probably due to a certain Power Ryde instructor's hills and never sitting down!

What goals are you hoping to achieve before the end of 2018?

At the beginning of 2018 I set out to achieve a healthier weight and met my goal-weight in September. My goal for the rest of the year is to maintain that weight and get as many miles on a bike outside before winter hits us.

Do you have a favorite moment that you remember at Power Ryde?

My favorite moment at Power Ryde has to be the first Fundraiser we hosted for the Police Unity Tour. The same co-workers that got me going to Power Ryde challenged me. They said if we filled the class, I would have to wear a pink tutu during the ride. Needless to say, I had to wear that pink tutu! I must say it was bitter/sweet!

What is your favorite music to ryde to?

I don't really have a favorite song to ride to; however, I love it when instructors do "Theme Rydes." If I had to pick a type of song, I would have to say a song that is slow and we "load it on" for the hill.

Tell us a fun fact about your yourself.

I spent four years living in Alaska where my oldest son was born and four years living in Georgia where my youngest son was born. I was married when I was 19 years old and we are celebrating our 27th wedding anniversary at the end of October, with a weekend of bike rides of course.

What motivates you?

I get motivated by the energy at Power Ryde. I love the energy at the 5:30 am classes. Also, my wife and I recently started getting in shape together. I love that we do it together because it is so much easier when you have someone to do things with.

When you are not Power Ryding, what can we find you doing?

When I am not at Power Ryde (or working) you can probably find me on the bike trail with my wife and/or friends. I love cycling and would spend every free moment biking in some fashion if I could. If not biking, you will probably find me fishing.

Check out John's Before and After Photo. He is a true testimonial to what the combination of Power Ryde and a healthy diet can do for one's body. Way to go John!

John Pavia before and after
Copied!
^TOP
close
ModalContent
loading gif