Skip to Main Content

Who brought the POWER in August (2016)?

Back To Blog
Aug 22, 2016
Polaroid style picture of Gene Stallworth with 'Who Brought the POWER in 'August'?

Gene the Machine...aka, Gene Stallworth

To this day I can still remember the first time Gene came to Power Ryde. Actually, scratch that, I remember the first time he called Power Ryde to sign up for a class. I answered, "Power Ryde this is Casey." And he goes, "Hey Casey, how ya doin'?" He persisted to talk to me for a good 10 minutes. After I hung up the phone, I thought to myself, do I know him or is he just that friendly? The first time he came to ryde I realized, he was just that friendly...that was Gene!

Gene's first class was an early 5:30am class. He hid in the back corner. After class he came out SOAKED IN SWEAT (definitely sweatier than me - SUPER SWEATY), and he said, "Wow that kicked my butt!" He then stayed a good half hour after class and chatted with me. He talked about his son who played football, his friend, Gary, who he HAD to bring with him to Power Ryde, and his love for hunting. I left that Friday morning and thought, wow what a nice guy!

Fast-forward several months and Gene is now a 5:30am regular on Monday, Wednesday, AND Friday mornings. He now rydes up toward the front...usually with his Power Ryde buddies - Gary, Melissa, Julia, Kelly, Kim, and others. He's not afraid to yell out, "Heavy hill, heavy, heavy!" He still sweats just as much and stays after to chat (which we love!). His spirit and energy have earned him the name Gene the Machine...because trust us, when you see him on that bike, he is a MACHINE! But most importantly, Gene has become a vital part of our Power Ryde family. Sometimes he's the honorary "chick" in a class full of women and other times he is one of the guys; hooting and hollering with George. We are so glad Gene accepted our nomination as Student of the Month (he wanted to turn it down, because he didn't think he deserved it, until I had everyone in the Friday morning class put their hands together for him!). Thank you Gene the Machine for accepting and for always giving 110%. Keep reading to learn more about Gene, why he rydes at Power Ryde, and more!

What brought you to Power Ryde?

I had been introduced to spinning by a friend, and although I liked it, I wanted to find somewhere that was more upbeat, more fun, and still challenging. HELLO POWER RYDE!

Do you remember your first ryde? How did you feel? What kept you coming back for more?

I clearly remember my first ryde. It was a 5:30 A.M. class. There were all of 5 other people in the class, the instructor Casey H., myself and no where to hide! Of course I still tried to hide in the back of the class. LOL! I was able to, somewhat, follow along for the first 15 minutes. The next 30 minutes I pretty much found myself HANGING off the bike and hoping no one really noticed. For the most part I felt like I had stepped into very deep very, hot water! I was sure that if I continued to come back I could reach my fitness goals. With that in mind, the people, the instructors, and oh that music, it was fairly easy to return.

Why do you ryde at Power Ryde?

I love the atmosphere. The students are so positive and warm. The environment is supportive, encouraging, and so fun! I am not sure there is a group of more motivated, fitness-minded people around.

What did you do for fitness prior to Power Ryde?

Predominantly I had been a runner. Due to sickness and weight gain, running had become very hard on my knees and I was not able to run week in and week out.

What goals has Power Ryde helped you achieve?

Power Ryde has helped me lose weight and gain energy, both of which have allowed me to complete my first ever half-marathon this past Spring at the age of 53 and the 63-mile "Ride Cincinnati" bike ride.

What goals are you hoping to achieve in 2016?

Simple...Continue ryding at Power Ryde - great things will happen!

Do you have a favorite moment that you remember at Power Ryde?

I definitely have a favorite Power Ryde moment that I will, reluctantly, share. I persuaded the instructor to do a special 1-hour class on a Saturday instead of the usual 45-minutes. I think it became known as the Power Hour class. As fate would have it, I confused the class start time and did not make it. For the next month (or so it seemed) that fact was shared by the instructor at the start of every class I attended, in good humor of course.

...I think I know which instructor agreed to do this for you and then embarrassed you for weeks to come when you no-showed! ;)

What is your favorite music to ryde to?

There is a huge variety of music at Power Ryde. You never ever know what will be next! The variety itself is my favorite, but especially the mash-ups!

Tell us a fun fact about your yourself.

I am afraid of scary movies!!!

What motivates you?

Not allowing my illnesses - sarcoidosis and hyperthyroidism - to dictate my life style! And...THE HUGE ENERGY OF THE 5:30 A.M. CLASSES! WOOOOO HOOOO!!!

When you are not Power Ryding, what can we find you doing?

Archery, bow hunting, occasionally fishing with my wife and son, outdoor biking with my Power Ryde “Posse” (they know who they are... SUP?), and cheering on the St. X bombers at my son's football games with my wife.

Copied!
^TOP
close
ModalContent
loading gif