Skip to Main Content

Who Brought the POWER in September (2018)?

Back To Blog
Sep 25, 2018
Polaroid style picture of Nicole Phillips with 'Who Brought the POWER in September'?

Nicole Phillips

Nicole started ryding with us a little over a year ago. I can still vaguely remember her first class, because it was with me and I remember her telling me she was a runner and had done several marathons. I also remember after class her saying something to the effect of - the workout kicked her butt, she was shocked at how intense it was, and it was exactly what she needed. I remember thinking to myself, job done!

Anyways, over the last year Nicole has become a regular at Power Ryde. And since May, she has been coming even more frequently; sometimes twice a day, like at 5:30a for cycle and then 9:30a for OFF The Bike. In fact, just last week Nicole told me if she had childcare, she'd be at Power Ryde working out all day; YES!!! 

Nicole's energy is infectious and she has this tough, go-getter attitude that always inspires me to teach a better class. And, after reading her answers to the below questions, I am even more impressed and inspired by Nicole. So keep reading below to find out how ryding helps Nicole's running, why she enjoys our OFF The Bike classes (I mean, look at her arms in that pic!!), and what motivates her every day!

What brought you to Power Ryde?

My neighbor recommended it, so I bought a Groupon to check it out.

Do you remember your first ryde and how you felt after? What has kept you coming back for more week after week?

I remember; I was crazy sore and thinking, “this is a legit workout!" I felt defeated for being so out of shape, because that is not how I like to be! I had 3 kids, the littlest wasn’t a year old yet and didn’t sleep much, so I didn’t make Power Ryde consistent for almost a year. Now, since May, I’ve been coming a lot, and I love a really hard workout; I love to challenge my body!

You come to our OFF The Bike classes a lot. What do you like most about those?

For me, cardio isn’t hard to find or do alone. I struggle to find time to lift or do any strength work on my own though, so I love to have a group setting for it. I also know that I’m not likely to keep holding a plank or keep squatting at home once it starts to hurt; for some reason I just don’t. So I love the accountability and the fact that I don’t have to think about it, or plan it out…I just follow the instructor.

I know you are a runner and have run several marathons and half-marathons. How has Power Ryde helped your running?

Coming to Power Ryde helps get some miles on my legs on days that I wouldn’t otherwise have a chance to run. I definitely feel stronger when I’m running, and I’m sure my knees appreciate a little less impact!

What goals are you hoping to achieve in 2018?

In May I set out to lose some weight, and regain autonomy of my body. I had 3 kids in just under 3.5 years, and my last baby nursed for almost 2 years. I was ready to get back into shape, lose the baby weight, and feel good about my body again. Since May I have lost almost 15 pounds by bringing my nutrition back where it should be, and getting in plenty of workouts. I think my 2018 goal will be continuing to work towards being the best version of myself. ...And I also want to isolate hands free!

Do you have a favorite moment that you remember at Power Ryde?

I don’t have one moment, but several. I really love it when I’ve been unable to do something (side planks in the OFF The Bike classes, holding the bike left or right with one arm for a long time, holding the bike steady while out of the saddle) and then I conquer it. It feels really, really good to know I’m improving and getting stronger.

What is your favorite music to ryde to?

I like to ryde to songs I know. I like everything from country (why do we never ryde to anything country?! oh wait...Casey played Shania Twain once lol) to rap, rock and anything in between. It’s gotta have a good beat though. Recently, on Throwback Thursday, Gangsta’s Paradise put me at my max heart rate for a bit!

Tell us a fun fact about your yourself.

I feel like I’m pretty basic and it definitely took me a long time to think of something! I’m going to go with this: I signed up for my first half marathon (Pig 2009) the day before the race, having never run more than 4 consecutive miles in my life. I was supposed to do the relay but got caught up in the excitement of the expo so I decided to wing it.

What motivates you?

I like it when people think I’m a little crazy…running in the rain, snow, or subzero temps, skydiving from 15,000 feet in Italy, having un-medicated births, taking 3 little kids on trips by myself…anything that people think is nuts, I’m usually all in. I suppose I find strength in doubt.

When you are not Power Ryding, what can we find you doing?

Usually anything that entails keeping 3 children and a house from ceasing to exist! I enjoy my workout time because it’s all about me, and that is about the only time I get!

Way to go Nicole! I've got to say, this is one of the most fascinating blogs we've done. I feel like I just learned so much more about you!

Copied!
^TOP
close
ModalContent
loading gif