Skip to Main Content

Who Brought the POWER in September (2017)?

Polaroid style picture of Kelly Drach with 'Who Brought the POWER in September'?

Kelly Drach

I always write a little blurb here about our Student of the Month and memories I have of them coming to ryde with us. But this month, I decided to do something different. Kelly comes to various instructors' classes and she is an integral part of our Power Ryde family. So instead of describing her myself, I reached out to several instructors and ryders and I asked them to describe Kelly in a few words/sentences. Here is what they said...and I could not love this more!

When I think I of Kelly, I think of incredible strength, perseverance and living. Kelly works quietly but always at 100%; you know she is striving for so much more than just that 45 minutes on the bike. -Erinn W

I love having Kelly in class. She is a very focused ryder, always sits in the front, and always gives 100%. She has definitely become a more confident, stronger rider and she is an inspiration to others. Way to go Kelly! -Amy B

I love having Kelly in class, she pushes herself EVERY SINGLE TIME. When I look up see her riding up front, it motivates me to push myself and the class even more.  -Julia

Kelly always comes with a smile and fierce attitude. She doesn't back down and is always up for a challenge!! -Amy S

I love Kelly! I love Kelly's spirit, her work ethic and her excitement when she locks in on a goal. She's one of the many wonderful people I've met who keeps me going. -Kim E

WOW; amazing! Now that we all understand who Kelly is and what she's all about, here is more on how she found Power Ryde, what she loves most about the workout, and why she keeps coming back for more!

What brought you to Power Ryde?

I heard about the Police Unity Tour fundraiser on social media and felt compelled to come. Someone was riding in honor of Sonny Kim, who was killed in the line of duty. Sonny was my friend and coworker and I wanted to honor his memory.

Do you remember your first ryde and how you felt after? What has kept you coming back for more week after week?

I remember thinking, "Oh my gosh, this is harder than it looks!!"

I keep coming back because I love being at Power Ryde! I love the feeling I get when people cheer you on; when the instructors push you to give more, to make the hill a little heavier. And I love love love the bikes! I've taken plenty of cycling classes before, but nothing like this!

Why do you ryde at Power Ryde?

How much space is there for me to answer this? ;) So many reasons, but here are the most important to me. The atmosphere; it's energetic and encouraging. I never feel judged for not riding as fast or for not having a certain body type. The instructors; I always know that no matter who is teaching, I'll get a great workout and have a great time. Each instructor has their own way of getting their students to push themselves. Everyone here makes it a point to get to know you personally; they know your name and what songs you want to hear during class.

What did you do for fitness prior to Power Ryde?

Mostly strength training and walking, but in the last few years I've added TRX, yoga, Pilates, and swimming.

What goals has Power Ryde helped you achieve?

Power Ryde helped me complete my first triathlon in 2016!!!

What goals are you hoping to achieve before the end of 2017?

I want to kick my addiction of emotional eating and lose 20 more pounds.

We should note that Kelly did our Power 30 Program in January and was able to cut out all junk and processed food for 30 days straight, so we have NO DOUBT that with her hard work and determination, she will be able to achieve this goal!

Do you have a favorite moment that you remember at Power Ryde?

My favorite moment was a class that Lauren Melton taught. I was struggling that day and I knew that if I gave everything I had, I'd work through it. There was one part of the heavy heavy hill that I literally gave 100% and physically felt an emotional release. It was amazing and empowering.

What is your favorite music to ryde to?

That's a tough one...it depends on my mood. On good days, I love Pitbull and anything with a good dance beat. On days that I'm struggling, I love hard rock or something with lyrics that make you want to kick @$$ (especially for the heavy hills).

Tell us a fun fact about your yourself.

I am a huge Indiana Hoosier fan and am an extroverted introvert (odd, I realize, but it's really a thing).

What motivates you?

People who overcome adversity motivate me; whatever it is. Life is a struggle sometimes, but you have to face it head-on and know that you will prevail.

When you are not Power Ryding, what can we find you doing?

Working! Not all the time, but when I'm not at work I love spending time with my family and friends. You can also find me at St. Susanna watching volleyball and/or basketball games! Go Titans!!

Copied!
^TOP
close
ModalContent
loading gif